Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 2 the BMI

The Body Mass Index is a way to calculate healthy weight for your height.  The water displacement test that checks your buoyancy (i.e. your fat) is a more accurate measure,  but few of us have giant pools of water with all the equipment necessary to measure the displacement, so the BMI will have to do.

A BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 is normal
                25 to 29.5 is overweight
                over 30 is obese

I'm 5 feet 3.5 inches tall, so my current 176 lbs puts me at 30.7.  I am obese by this scale.
I will reach the normal range when I hit 143 lbs.  My goal of 140 will put me at 24.4.
Just for interest, to reach the lowest range of normal, I would have to weigh 106 lbs, which I did for about 3 months when I was 16 and so crazy over a boy that I couldn't eat for the butterflies in my stomach if I was going to see him, had seen him, or thought about seeing him!  I am pretty sure there is no risk of me falling off the bottom end into the underweight category.

If you want to calculate your own BMI here is an online calculator:

No comments:

Post a Comment